Position Assignments and Procedures

Position Assignments

Position classifications are assigned through the Human Resources Office and position recruitment is governed by existing Human Resources procedures.


Position numbers are assigned in the Human Resources Management System (HCM) upon verification of the employee change or New Position via E-TRAC by Human Resources.


If you have any questions regarding existing HRMS position numbers or funding issues, please contact Jack Mao at x86621, Tiffany Cheung at x82581, or Nikkie Guevarra at x82579.



Probationary Versus Temporary Positions

Generally, all positions shall be posted for a minimum of 2 weeks. Positions may be temporary with an ending date, or probationary with no ending date. Human Resources Employment Division shall review position descriptions for classification verification.

There are four basic conditions under which the position may be temporary, and the position is not required to be posted through standard recruiting procedures:


  1. temporary appointment for less than 90 calendar days
  2. appointment in an Excluded classification, listed in section “E99” of the salary schedule
  3. temporary reassignment to a higher level classification
  4. hourly/intermittent appointments








Position Funding

A department’s salary budget is based on employees on the rolls for the budget presentation process around April or May of each year. Any new appointments must still be covered by a department’s overall budget for the year (including non-salary funds available).




  • Departments must verify a funding source for any new appointment that is not a replacement for an existing budgeted employee or vacancy (i.e., an employee on the rolls or vacancy in the most recent budget presentation process) by obtaining the approval of their Cabinet Level Officer before hiring can commence.
  • Vacancies: When an employee is separated, any funds remaining after all final salary and vacation payments will remain in the department’s accounts.  A department can use these funds by the following of either of two ways:



  1. Wait until all salary charges for a Quarter have been posted. The balance can then be transferred to another salary or operating expense Account by submitting a Budget Transfer Request Form.  Note: This can only be done for Quarters that are closed. It cannot be done for the current or future Quarters.
  2. Submit a Budget Transfer Request identifying the employee and position number whose salary funds are being transferred and the time period involved. This method can be used to transfer funds to the end of the fiscal year.



  • Reclassifications:  Reclassifications may significantly increase the salary obligations for a unit. There is NO reserve or central source of funding to cover reclassifications; therefore, each manager must cover the total cost of reclassifications from current department resources.
  • Reserves: Some Cabinet Level Officers in the past have held funds related to positions that become vacant in order to create a reserve or “resource pool.”  Offices should verify with their Cabinet Level Officer to determine procedures that might apply to them.
  • Compensation Increases:  Additional allocations will be made to each Cabinet Level Officer for all union-bargained salary increases, based on employees on the rolls for that year's budget and/or employee eligibility.  These funds will be transferred upon completion of the increase process.  Full-Year costs will be permanently allocated to each Cabinet Level Officer in the next year’s budget cycle.

Back to top