Budgeting in the Common Financial System (CFS) must include a Scenario ChartField, and campuses may set up Scenarios that are most appropriate for their campus business and reporting requirements.
San Francisco State University: Uses three different budget scenarios:
- INITL_BUD (Initial Budget): This Scenario will be used for posting the beginning allocations to the Cabinet-Level Officers only, This Scenario is equivalent to Original Budget in the legacy Financial Records System.
- CURRNT_BUD (Current Budget): This Scenario will be used for posting all budget changes, and will be the most current budget for a department to view or report on. This Scenario is equivalent to Revised Budget in the legacy Financial Records System.
- PTD (Period to Date): This Scenario will be used to post cumulative budget balance history, and will equal current Budget in all cases.
Budget Department Year-End Deadlines, FY18-19*
* – These are firm deadlines. Requests for deadline extensions will not be considered.
Budget Transfer Procedures
Budget transfers are subject to the Delegation of Fiscal Authority and Responsibility issued to campuses under Executive Order No. 1000 effective July 1, 2007. No budget transfers can be made between two different funds.
Once a department receives its budget, it is the responsibility of the department manager to maintain it and ensure that the budget will not be overspent by the end of the fiscal year.
Departments should transfer enough funds to all salary line items to cover projected expenditures through the end of the fiscal year.
In order to request a budget transfer between Departments or Accounts, please complete Budget Administration & Operations “Budget Transfer Request” (commonly called BTR) form.
NOTE: FUND TRANSFERS FOR MOST NON-GENERAL FUND ACCOUNTS WILL BE DONE BY THE FISCAL AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT, INCLUDING THE LOTTERY FUND.
Budget Transfer Request Form (BTR) Instructions
DO NOT ENTER ANYTHING INTO THE TOP SECTION OF THE FORM (ABOVE THE GOLD-COLORED ROW).
ACCOUNT: Enter the 6-digit Account Value (all numeric)
FUND: Enter the 5-digit Fund Value (2 alpha + 3 numeric)
DEPARTMENT: Enter the 4-digit Department ID Value (all numeric)
PROGRAM: Enter the 4-digit Program Value only if for Semester or Hospitality expense.
CLASS: Enter the 5-digit Class Value if used by your department
PROJECT/GRANT: Enter the 8-digit Project/Grant value if used by your Department (primarily used for Grants & Contracts)
AMOUNT: Enter the amount to be transferred (NOTE: Do not transfer cents)
- To increase an expenditure budget, enter a plus amount (e.g. +300)
- To decrease an expenditure budget, enter a minus amount (e.g. -300)
- To increase budgeted revenue, enter a minus amount (e.g. -1,000,000)
- To decrease budgeted revenue, enter a plus amount (e.g. +1,000,000)
DESCRIPTION: Enter brief description you would like to see appear on Transaction detail
JOURNAL LINE REF: DO NOT USE
STAT CODE: DO NOT USE
STAT AMT: DO NOT USE
SCENARIO: FOR BUDGET OFFICE USE ONLY - DO NOT USE
Enter the Preparer name and extension, the Department Approver name, and the Department Name.
REASON FOR TRANSFER: Enter a reason for the budget transfer.
DISTRIBUTION BOX: Enter the names and department names and email addresses for those people to whom you would like a copy of the transfer sent.
All copies will be sent via email address to those listed in the distribution box of the BTR only
OPTIONAL FOR DEPARTMENT: Have your Department Approver sign their approval on the Department Approver line (for your department internal approval process only).
The Budget Office does not accept hard copy BTR's, they are only to be sent via email by each department's approver.
To Complete and Submit a BTR
Once the form is completed, save the file with a filename that includes the name of the pertinent department.
Only the department administrator (MPP), or designated alternate administrator (MPP), may submit the completed BTR. To submit the BTR for processing, they must send the budget transfer spreadsheet as an attachment from their @sfsu.edu e-mail account to the Budget department BTR e-mail account, email@example.com
When your transfer has been processed by the Budget department, the Journal ID # for the transfer will be entered on the spreadsheet and a copy sent back to the originator and the designated distribution names listed on the BTR.
Adobe Reader is required for viewing and printing the Portable Document Format (PDF) documents. Please download Adobe Reader.
Disclaimer: If you have accessibility issues with the PDF or word forms, please contact the Budget Office at X81463 or 415-338-1463.